Whether you’re daunted by the idea of decluttering your apartment or raring to get going, organizing and keeping things that way are all about mindset. Embrace these 8 ideas and you’ll become a natural organizer. You’ll also find that it’s much easier to continually take small actions to organize rather than occasionally deal with clutter overload.
- One space at a time. If you’re start decluttering from a place of chaos, don’t try to take it on all at once. First conquer a closet, then a bathroom, etc. It makes the work less daunting and quickly gives you a feeling of accomplishment.
- Always have a donation bin. The declutter mindset means continually purging things you no longer need. That’s easier to do when you can drop them directly into a donation box. As soon as it’s full, drop it off.
- Place like things with like things. All your coats go together, all your shoes go together, etc. This not only helps minimize clutter, it makes things easier to find.
- Use labels. Have you ever come across a box or tote and have to open it to see what’s inside? It’s a waste of time, makes things hard to find, and makes it harder to follow the rule about keeping like things together.
- Containerize your life. Toiletries, cooking supplies, laundry… loose items can quickly lead to clutter. The simple act of storing them in easy-to-access open containers can have a big impact.
- One in, one out rule. Getting new things is fun, but it leads to over-accumulation and clutter. If you buy a new pair of shoes, get rid of a pair you rarely wear. Not adding to the total amount of stuff you have makes keeping it organized much easier.
- Use it, love it, or lose it. Items that may have served you well at one time but have no place in your life right now should be purged.
- Put it away. Are you about to put something down? Is that where it’s stored? Unless you plan to pick it up and use it very soon, put it away.